FlySim.com Forum Index FlySim.com
FlySim and KiteSim Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program Update request - non-river / fish related

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1up

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Program Update request - non-river / fish related Reply with quote

I don't know that this already exists, but I thought I could make a thread for changes that would be nice to the game that do not include new rivers or fish, but purely how the game functions. For instance, one of the most annoying "features" of the game is that there is no confirmation to exit when you hit the escape key. This is rough because I am used to using the escape key to close option windows in other programs and when I have the fly window or something similar open, and I try to use the escape key out of habit, it kicks me out of the game without any prompt for confirmation. I have lost a lot of progress more than once because of this.

Another "feature" is that sometimes, when you let out some line, especially in windowed mode, it keeps letting out line even after you have let go of the key, until all of your line is lying on the ground at your feet. Similarly, sometimes when you are walking or turning a particular direction and let go of the appropriate key, the character keeps attempting to move or turn. These seem to be mostly little bugs with the key release detection and might require some testing and code modification to get to work, but nothing too big.

Those are just some little things I have noticed with the program and I thought they might be of interest. These are not posted as critisisms, but merely as observations. You guys have a great game and I throughly enjoy playing it. It lets me fish way more than I get the oppurtunity to go. Thanks again!

John
J.R.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bug report.
I will fix the escape button.
The other bugs are tough because I can't duplicate them. When you play in windowed mode and move the cursor out of the window, wierd things can happen. Also, a slow frame rate can sometimes cause problems - to check, fish for a while, quit then go to "C:\Program Files\FlySim" and look at "log.txt" - FPS should be close to 30.

Here's the list of things added/fixed so far:

w/s keys now allow movement forward/back
x/c keys now controls drag (along with -/+)
1up

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks again for listening to my thoughts and I see that the escape key thing was fixed in the beta (GREAT job on that by the way!!). The one other problem I can think of that might be able to be fixed is that the program will sometimes lockup when my system goes into powersave. When I come out of powersave and try and open the program, it won't and I have to end the task from Windows Task Manager. The only real drag about this is that you lose your fish caught to that point and any other data for the session. I have had some decent sized fish not recorded because of this. I don't know if this was fixed in the beta as I haven't left it up long enough for my system to go to standby with it up.

The other little thing, now that I think of it, is that flysim seems to use a large amount of my CPU even when it is on the destination selection screen and minimized. I don't know if that is because the game doesn't actually "pause" and is running in the background or what. Maybe you could make it so that the game pauses while you are in a menu for selecting flys or looking at caught fish or changing destinations. I have hooked a couple of fish accidentally when in the fly selection screen or when checking the day's catch.

Just some thoughts/ideas. Again, gret game and I really enjoy playing it. Have a great day!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FlySim.com Forum Index -> FlySim Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: