FlySim.com Forum Index FlySim.com
FlySim and KiteSim Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I give up on landing the big ones!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invicta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: I give up on landing the big ones!!!!! Reply with quote

I notice there has been no replies to a post called "Help on landing the big ones"!!!!! Is there a reason???? Sounds like there are others with this issue??

I now give up on this game, I bought it because it was addictive and I adore fly fishing, however I cannot get past landing the 10 pounder on the Gosha River. No matter what I do the fish either gets off or breaks off and it is now becoming a bore.

I have tried it all, walking the bank, turning, side strain, top pulling, moving the rod as far back whilst reeling in but the fish overtakes and looses the hook. Either that or it suddenly changes direction and when I release instead of it running on the break, the tippet just snaps, hardly a fair game. I have even tried landing the big one first before catching all the others and when either broken or it gets off coming out of the game and starting again, but that doesn't work either. Landing all the others is absolutely no problem and playing the larger ones of around 6-7lbs works a treat, they come to the net in a played out state as a real fish should, its the larger 10 and overs that just do not work properly.

My PC is OK, all drivers are the latest, I have a top end Graphics card and I enjoy other difficult games including my sons Xbox 360, but this is annoyingly boring now and I have wasted my money. Hey ho we live and learn.!!!!!
willien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Landing the big ones Reply with quote

All I can say is don't give up. I was in the same boat as you when I first started. You seem to know all the techniques, I would say the most important is the walking up and down the bank while playing the fish. I take it you are walking away from the fish as it is running towards you! Try to move early, i.e. anticipate what the fish is about to do. Also check your drag isn't on too much. In the end how many "real" 10lb + trout have you landed on a fly rod, and how easy was it. I think the game is as realistic as you can get without getting wet. Also, once you have landed one it seems to get easier. I still break off or loose the occasional 20lb+ fish and I still haven't mastered getting one of the real monsters in yet and thats after over a year.
Invicta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!!!.......just as I thought, still no response and no offers of help. "Not Good"!!!!

"Simple issues" seem to be no problem, they reply, but then any company can do that, the more difficult they become, this company doesn't want to know!!!!

You have my money and have produced a game that works most of the time and offer some sort of back up if the answers are simple. But when they are not, just ignor them and hope they go away. Sounds like there is a problem that cannot be solved!!!!!!!

The least you could do is offer some common courtesies with a reply and maybe a little apology, but to ignore completely is just downright bad manners. It shows a complete lack of respect to your customers and what you think of them.
J.R.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the hints listed in the forum for landing big ones:
Quote:

couple of tips for slack:
- don't pressure the fish too much early on or you may turn him towards you.
- keep the rod in front so you can pull up when they run at you.
- move up/down the bank to help remove slack.

when ever i am fishing fo fish 10+ pounds i found a great way to land them, you walk with the fish well realling the in

-reoutwiz

The big ones are tricky to catch.
Try moving along to bank to help manage slack line and in the early
stages of the fight just let them run to wear them out.

Sorry you felt we were unresponsive.

The reason I did not respond is that my best is only 16 lb and I pretty much exhausted all my expertise in previous posts. There are many people who have landed 20lb+ and I was hoping they would chime in.

I believe catching the really big ones has alot of "twitch" element to it, more video game than simulation. Not sure if this is good or bad, but many people seem to enjoy the challenge. Future versions may include two levels of difficulty.

-J.R.
jp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invicta-
Don't Give up! This game is challenging and at times frustrating. Without this degree of difficulty, the achievement would not be rewarding.
Here are a couple of suggestions that may help:

I set my drag at 27 to hook the fish and then increase the drag with the + key during the fight to 30, this helps me to not break off while setting the hook on larger fish.

During the fight I try to prevent the fish from ever being straight out in front of me. I lost a lot of fish like this becase I could not recover the line fast enough. Stay at an angle away from the fish. You will have to anticipate which way the fish will turn (when taking line) so you can put yourself in a better position.

When you have slack line, lift the rod and if you are moving right hit the up arrow or moving left hit the down arrow. This will increase your speed and allow you to take up more line.

Keep the rod tip up off the water even when the fish is running or jumping allow the rod to work the fish.

Keep the fish in view at all times

try to RELAX, you have the advantage with no time limit and no spooling fish. Don't force them, or be in a hurry to land them, they will wear out.

Good Luck! Smile
Jon Portillo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FlySim.com Forum Index -> FlySim Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: