FlySim.com Forum Index FlySim.com
FlySim and KiteSim Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeeeeaaarrrrgghhhh!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Yeeeeaaarrrrgghhhh! Reply with quote

Ok, sorry about the, "Howard Dean scream," (no political statement intended, it's just that it's almost exactly how I imagine I sound when I lose a big one) but a bug thats been bothering me since I got the game is driving me nuts. I hooked into two monsters that I'm sure were 50+ lbs and what happens?

. . . Well, the same thing that always happens when I hook a large fish the mouse gets stuck in 'reel in' mode long after I let go of the button. If I click the button again it usually fixes the problem (thus, if I click repeatly it won't stay stuck if it gets stuck), but on the big fish I sometimes need hold keep reeling longer than that and thus I tend to break them off and lose them.

Am I the only one having this problem? Last time I checked I hadn't heard of anyone else with the same problem so I've always suspected it's the mouse drivers or maybe a chipset driver, but maybe I'm wrong (and since there haven't been any updates for my hardware drivers in about 1000 years updating wouldn't help much). Do I need to change out my logitech mouse for another brand? Not a fan of MS, but I don't know of anyone else that has a good reputation for making high precision mice. I'm just wondering, is this a bug in the game or a hardware issue? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same prob!! i try to do short clicks but does not always work and i have had 3 new computers from i got the game
flysim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take another look when I get home from vacation. But I don't think I get much control over the mouse buttons - just a callback from the OS.
But there may be a different way to get mouse state....
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a bit going after the big ones I'm thinking it might be tied to the 'reel-in' sound loop. So far, I can't get it to happen unless the sound goes through 1 least one entire cycle of the 'reel-in' sound. Of course, it could be something entirely different and what I'm hearing/experiencing is just coincidence or a peculiarity of how I percieve it. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do a few tests. I planned on recording some alternate reel sounds, some shorter some longer. I renamed the 'reel.wav' file and decided to give the game a try without having that particular sound file at all. The game loaded without any error messages, so far so good. I decided to fish the Keya because it's easy to see the fish. Fortunately there was a large brown I soon had it hooked and after a lengthy battle I landed this monster without any problems whatsoever (other than that he almost wore me out before I wore him out). It's the biggest fish I've managed to land by several pounds. I haven't tried some longer or shorter sound files yet, but I just might be on to with this sound loop idea. Wink

If you guys don't consider removing sound file cheating, I'll probably submit him for the trophy page. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to have a look at this, i went through the game and only fished for the big ones. i lost about 60% of the big ones to this, it happens when you are moving and reeling at the same time, you let go the mouse botten but it does not stop reeling and the line brakes and that really sucks when it is not your own fault Mad

Nice one Bill Very Happy it feels good when you land a big one like that Very Happy
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect I'll be getting a lot more big ones now that I have found at least a temporary fix for the problem. It's about time too, I never thought I was going to beat my previous 45lb personal record.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I have 2 Logitech Mice, Mouses,...whatever. One has a cord and one is a cordless lazer type. I have had the "reel in" lock several times on large fish where I had to hold the right mouse down, and run like hell to keep slack out of the line.
My lazer cordless seems to work better for casting and the cord is never in the way when lifting and lowering the flyrod.
Again. this seems to happen when I hold the right mouse down,...it doesn't lock with short clicks as Patrick stated.

Check out my website:
Cutch's Camp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FlySim.com Forum Index -> FlySim Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: