FlySim.com Forum Index FlySim.com
FlySim and KiteSim Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo Wii (horrible name, but good for fishing games?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Nintendo Wii (horrible name, but good for fishing games?) Reply with quote

I've been hearing about the new Nintendo a lot in the news (online news anyway) lately. Have you guys looked into or considered developing a fly fishing game for the Nintendo Wii? I'm not much of a game console guy, but with the wireless motion feedback control thingy, it looks like the ideal control input for this type of game to me.

I don't know much about the process of developing games for it, and how it differs from the development process for a PC, but it looks like the ideal platform for a fly fishing game.

-It's comparatively cheap.

-The hardware is standardized so you can take full advantage of whatever the machines capabilities are without worrying about minimum requirements.

-The controller seems ideally suited for fishing games.

-A lot of fishermen have kids anyway (at least the ones I know).

-Someone's bound to publish a fishing game out, why not you? (Ok, there could be a good reason why not, but it's worth asking.)

-Piracy doesn't look like it would be much of an issue and I wouldn't have to bug you guys after I reformat my computer. Wink
flysim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to write games for a console, but the barrier to entry is really high. First you need a dev kit ($20K+). Then the console maker has to approve your games. The Wii controller seems really cool and FlySim seems like an ideal app - although your arm may get really tired!

You are correct about the piracy - thats why fewer game are being released for the PC Sad

-J.R.
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.R.,

I looked up to see what I could find out about the Nintendo devkit and all the console news sites are saying that Nintendo is selling their devkits for "as low as $1732." I don't know if that means that there are different version of the kit or whether larger companies pay more, (or even whether the price mentioned is a very widespread rumor) but I thought I'd let you guys know. It could be that Nintendo is trying to get more small developers involved in making games for their system.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty interesting. To be honest, the $20K figure came from looking into the PS2 dev kit a couple of years ago.
It will be interesting to see what their certification process is like.

Thanks,
J.R.
splitbamboo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Wii Controllers Reply with quote

I found this YouTube video showing where a guy hooked up his Wii controller to his PC via a blue tooth connect and Linux. Then he developed an air drumming program.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/07/air-drumming-with-the-wii-remote/

Any chance this could be done with FlySim? Since the program is already in place, it's a matter of connecting the remote to the PC...
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR mentioned in an earlier post that they are already looking into doing just what you suggested.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as soon has I can find a wii remote - those things are tough to come by.
splitbamboo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Wiimote Reply with quote

So do you know whether with the Wiimote you can feel feedback as to rod length or action? i.e. If a 9' fast action rod would "fee" different than a 9' medium action rod...
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Wii remotes have a rumble feature which could probably be used to detect strikes, but it's not able to simulate the feedback you would get from a real rod.

I don't have any experience with bluetooth. I know a few motherboards advertised special 'bluetooth enable PCI slots' or something to that effect when the technology was first introduced. Is it neccesary to have one or was that more or less a marketing gimmick? (I'm inclined to think it was just a gimmick but I've been wrong before) Does anyone know if the 'nunchuck'
attachment works with the PC drivers?

JR,
Also, have you guys given any thought to developing for the actual Wii console? I know I'll go for it if flysim PC gets a 'wiimote' option, but I'm not sure the average player would have the inclination or know-how to set up a PC to use the Wii remote. I know I would appreciate the simplicity of just hooking up the console, putting the disc in and playing, and I'm a bit of a geek myself.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what it will take for the end user to get wii remote working - hopefully not to much of a pain. As far as developing for the console, I am waiting for other Indie game developers to take the plunge and see how they do.

I believe you are correct about the rumble feature - hoping to use that for strikes and maybe spikes in line tension.
Pitti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile

My son has got the wii for christmas, together with the game zelda. In this game is a fishing part. Of course no flyfishing, but float.
And it's absolutly funny. You have 2 controller. One in the left (the reel), the other in the right hand (the rod). For casting you have to move the right arm back and forewards, like the real movement. More power, longer casts.
If the float go away, you have to move the right controller backwards, and if you get the strike, the controller rumbles. Then you have to reel in using the left controller and circular movement, while the right controller control the rod and rumbles. It works very sensitive and is really funny.
I'm allways wondering about how good nintendo implant such nice mini games at adventure games.
Yes, such gameplay at Flysim would be the gratest, I think.

Happy Christmas
Pitti
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15078

You guys might want to keep an eye on this thread to gauge the level on interest in developing a FF game for the Wii.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something i've really been after since the inception of the Nintendo DS (that could probably pull off flysim with some simplification of physics).

The Wii controller is a lot more sensitive than most games currently available make use of, and it feels perfect for re-igniting the fishing-sim genre.

Combined with the nunchuk attachment (the little controller thingy), you could control the rod with the wii-mote while stripping line with the other hand. Failing that, you could also reel. The wii-motes inbuilt speaker could click for the "reeling" or when releasing line, and "zim" when stripping line. Very neat IMO. Wink

The system would work for every imaginable type of fishing, which would open up the potential interest for the product.

Gah, i wish i had more knowhow about programming, as i would love to help with such a project any way possible. I've led a whole bunch of mod teams for various games (more notably with rFactor, a nice racing sim), but my programming skills are even worse than my modelling skills. I am game-creatingly autistic, full of ideas with no way of expressing them. :p
Cubits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

There's a great way to "feel out" the market for such a game as flysim on the Wii, and that is via WiiWare. Here, you can essentially release a technical demo for the public to download, to see how the market responds. You don't have to get bogged down with content creation, and you can bypass finding a producer.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/from-drawing-board-to-wiiware-316612.php

There is also a great middleware program available for handling the motion control input: http://www.ailive.net/lm2.html

Of particular new interest is the forthcoming wiimotion plus attachment, which greatly increases the sensitivity of the wiimote. This allows it to detect mending, sidecasting, and even the difference between a gentle drop or hard slam of the fly.

The new DSi has a similar facility for the DS (for which i intitially would have loved to develop this!), and it also has twice the processing clockspeed of the previous DS, allowing better line physics. Smile
millkz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to write games for a console, but the barrier to entry is really high. First you need a dev kit ($20K+). Then the console maker has to approve your games. The Wii controller seems really cool and FlySim seems like an ideal app - although your arm may get really tired!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FlySim.com Forum Index -> FlySim Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: