FlySim.com Forum Index FlySim.com
FlySim and KiteSim Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly fishing mice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goranpaa

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Fly fishing mice Reply with quote

Yeah, I know the title sounds strange. And I dont mean a mouse as a fly imitation Very Happy .

As this game is very mouse dependant. I whas curious of how much difference a good mouse would do? This eve, I had the opportunity to test some mice. This, as I have a friend , who happends to own a pc hardware shop. And I did succeed in talking him into borrow some of his demo mice overnight.

The following mice where tested in Flysim.

1. Old office, Microsoft, beige, mechanical mouse

2. Logitech Click. ( All around, corded optical mouse. Not for hard core gamers. 800 DPI).

3. Logitech MX 518 optical mouse ( corded gaming mouse 1600 DPI).

4. Logitech G7. Exspensive, cordless lazer mouse. 2000 DPI.

5. Razer Krait. Cheap, corded, optical gaming mouse, 1600 DPI.

To start with the old, Micosoft mechanical mouse. It whas ergonomically pretty decent. But a horrible perfomer in Flysim, did feel really sluggish.
Hard to "load" the rod when using a line length over 15m.

The Logitech Click!: Good ergonomics, as with most Logitech mice. A little better performance. But still too sluggish to make the casting really enjoyable. Even if you did set the mouse acceleration at the highest in Windows control panel.

Logitech MX 518: Good ergonomics. I have average sized hands with pretty long fingers. But I guess, this mouse will fit most hand sizes well. And I did at once feel comfortable with this mouse.
A 1600 DPI mouse at full settings, can give the " Bambi on ice" effect til you get used to it. So if you're going from a regular mouse to a gaming mouse. You may wanna fiddle with the lower settings til you get used.

I had no problems casting 20 meters of line with good accuracy (most of the time lol) And here, you have a much smoother behaviour moving the rod back and forth. I also did a test, having the settings at medium and with about 1000 dpi. And this whas also a nice exsperiense.

Logitech G7. This is without doubt the most exclusive and exspensive mouse I have tested.

It's a fairly heavy mouse, when the battery is in. But for you who wants to fine tune the weight of the mouse. The slightly cheaper, Logitech G 5 is a better choise, as it comes with additional weights. Strangely enough the G7 does'nt come with this feature.

The 2000 DPI then? Is this an improvement? To be honest, I guess, you can get used to run this mouse at full DPI etc. But I still think that a 1600 DPI mouse is more than enough for any gaming.

And as the G 7 is horribly expensive. I think you can find other cordless optical or lazer, gaming mice that will do about the same job as the G7 for a lower price.

Razer Krait. This is my own mouse. It's a pretty cheap corded, optical gaming mouse. From a company that have specialized in making gaming accesoiares, like mice and keyboards.

I have a kind of love / hate relation to this mouse. I love the programable software Razer provides. And the neat orange LEDs on the sides, that matches the red LED light on my illuminated Saitec Eclipse II keyboard. + good accurcy, and the low friction, teflon pads.

But I dont like the fact, that this mouse is a couple of cm shorter than most normal mice. And if you just like me have long fingers, you automatically ends up, with your fingertips, resting on the edges of the buttons. Also, the Krait, have up turned edges on the end of the buttons. And the shortness of the mouse, combined with the design of the buttons. Will pretty often lead to spontanions button activation. And the Razer Krait does'nt have the same confy feeling to hold as the Logitechs. But I guess, if you have small hands with short fingers. This mouse will be a pretty nice choise anyway.

As with the better Logitech mice. This Razer, budget gaming mouse behaves very well in games like Flysim.

But if i where to crown the best mouse, considering ergonomics, performance / price ratio? It would be the Logitech MX 518. I will soon retire the Krait and get a MX 518 instead lol.

If you dont like corded mice? And have some money to spend? Then, the Logitech G7 is a nice choise.

Hope you will find this mini test interesting?
flysim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test.

One thing that helped me cast better was to keep my palm on the table and just use my fingers to move the mouse. Turning up the mouse speed also helped with casting distance.

Regards,
J.R.
goranpaa

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I discovered the same thing actually. Mostly cuz this is the most restful way to hold my short mouse. And to avoid the spontanious clicking of the buttons.
buckcp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new Logitech G3 mouse off ebay after reading goranpa's review on mice. I am left handed, so went with the ambidexterous model. It makes a huge difference in ones casting ability. Thanks for the great tip Goran.
Buck
goranpaa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckcp wrote:
I just got a new Logitech G3 mouse off ebay after reading goranpa's review on mice. I am left handed, so went with the ambidexterous model. It makes a huge difference in ones casting ability. Thanks for the great tip Goran.
Buck

You're welcome.

Glad, if I could be of any help for improving the casting and making your gaming more enjoyable.
Cutch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Logitec lazer cordless mouse I had been using worked very well but finally quit. (Forgot which model?). I bought an HP Lazer cordless mouse and after speeding up the mouse in the control pane, it works almost as well as my Logitec did.
Nice research and testing, goranpaa,...thanks Exclamation Wink

Check out my website:
Cutch's Camp
goranpaa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutch wrote:
The Logitec lazer cordless mouse I had been using worked very well but finally quit. (Forgot which model?). I bought an HP Lazer cordless mouse and after speeding up the mouse in the control pane, it works almost as well as my Logitec did.
Nice research and testing, goranpaa,...thanks Exclamation Wink

You're welcome
kilgore trout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work, goranpaa. I use a Logitech Trackman Marble FX with good results. The mouse body doesn't move, you rest your hand on it and operate cursor/rod by moving a ball with your fingertips. Less tiring on my old hand. I've been a fishing nut for more than 50 years and my favourite fishing is in the north west highlands of Scotland where it's still truly wild. Tight lines, guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FlySim.com Forum Index -> FlySim Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: