FlySim.com Forum Index FlySim.com
FlySim and KiteSim Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The tippet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goranpaa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: The tippet Reply with quote

Hi!

I begin to get really dishearted ( read frustrated) about loosing the big fish in river Keya for ex.

I have tried all the tricks, such as: Running up and down the river bank. Turning left / right etc. And i have been very careful drilling the fish.
Letting it run wild as much as possible.

The reel set at 12% drag.

In 95 % of the cases, the tippet breaks. Even such a thick tippet as 2X ( 8 - 10 pound strength). I lost a bown trout, about 5 or 8 pounds today, after about 5 minutes drilling with this tippet.

This makes me wonder, if the tippets does'nt break a bit too easy?
At least, they does'nt seem to follow the strength tests for real tippets. Or am I wrong here?

Maybe, you did put the big fish on too much steroids? Very Happy
buckcp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Goranpa,
I am new to this game, and have read all the posts on the forum. I am one armed, so can only use the mouse and drag setting to play fish , exactly like my real life fly fishing. Anyway, I have been able to land over 13lb fish just using the drag setting, and the way I lift and lower the rod, this was with a #4 tippet and scud. The monsters I can usually get turned, only occassionaly breaking them off. My trouble is when they come back towards me, I cant reel fast enough, and they spit the hook at some point on me.
Having flyfished quite a bit in my earlier years, I think this is a great training aid. It is a fantastic game, but I also think it is the best training aid on how to nymph I have seen.
Buck
goranpaa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckcp wrote:
Hi Goranpa,
I am new to this game, and have read all the posts on the forum. I am one armed, so can only use the mouse and drag setting to play fish , exactly like my real life fly fishing. Anyway, I have been able to land over 13lb fish just using the drag setting, and the way I lift and lower the rod, this was with a #4 tippet and scud. The monsters I can usually get turned, only occassionaly breaking them off. My trouble is when they come back towards me, I cant reel fast enough, and they spit the hook at some point on me.
Having flyfished quite a bit in my earlier years, I think this is a great training aid. It is a fantastic game, but I also think it is the best training aid on how to nymph I have seen.
Buck

Hi Buck!

That whas quite a valuable tip you gave me there!

After reading you ansver, I tried just to stand on one spot and work with the rod / reel and drag. And I noticed I lost less of the bigger fish now. I had a long fight with one of those monster Brownies in Keya. Using a 2X tippet and a Yellow Sally. And I whas'nt THAT far away, from landing it. But in the end it did as you said, It rushed towards me at 200km / hour, and I did'nt react fast enough. Bye, bye brownie! But I'm glad anyway, as your tip made my hopes rise considerably.

Just have to shape up on drilling a bit more.

Thanks again!
flysim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some really big fish in the Keya and sometimes it is hard to judge how big they are without landing them. So it may be that the fish you guessed was 5-8lb was really 20+.

My technique for taking up slack is to lift the rod to help take out slack. Another tip is to let the fish run early in the fight - you can turn them towards you by putting to much pressure on them. But my biggest is only ~16lb so Im not much of an expert.

-J.R.
buckcp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the only faster they rush at you, 200km? I know for a fact they break sound barrier. Every time this has happened to me, the house fills with a deafening noise. Of course it does the same thing when I'm on streams, so I figure the programmers have the speed down pat. I'm just glad I fish in fairly solitairy places.
I am glad my tip helped you. I am looking forward to getting a logitech 518 mouse after reading your comparisons.
Buck
goranpaa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckcp wrote:
Is that the only faster they rush at you, 200km? I know for a fact they break sound barrier. Every time this has happened to me, the house fills with a deafening noise. Of course it does the same thing when I'm on streams, so I figure the programmers have the speed down pat. I'm just glad I fish in fairly solitairy places.
I am glad my tip helped you. I am looking forward to getting a logitech 518 mouse after reading your comparisons.
Buck

He, he, he! Yeah, some of the biggest ones, seems to come at you like a jet fighter.

Here in Sweden the Brown Trouts, seldom exceed 2 kg So they are a bit nicer to us the poor fisher men. But I have landed a couple of Salmon in Norway. 1 X 10,4 kg and one 14.2 Kg. And they where almost as mean fighters as the big fish in Flysim. But on the other hand, I had a 14 foot, 2 handed Salmon fly rod then and a reel and tippet to match.

I think you really will like the MX 518 mouse! Mine will arrive before the weekend I hope.
goranpaa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysim wrote:
There are some really big fish in the Keya and sometimes it is hard to judge how big they are without landing them. So it may be that the fish you guessed was 5-8lb was really 20+.

My technique for taking up slack is to lift the rod to help take out slack. Another tip is to let the fish run early in the fight - you can turn them towards you by putting to much pressure on them. But my biggest is only ~16lb so Im not much of an expert.

-J.R.

Thanks for the tip! I will try this next time.
I wonder how big those fish are, that often have the tip of their fin sticking up of the water?
You can almost hear the theme from "Jaws" when you see them Very Happy
buckcp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am blesed enough to live within 15 miles of the Grey Reef of the North Platte River. This is the finest float fishing in the lower 48 I am convinced. It is 95% nymph fishing I'd say, and its not uncommon to hook up with 20 trout a float, majority rainbow, then brown, least being cutthroat. Every year there are some trout 15lb plus minimum landed from this system.
I have always had trouble with my nymph fishing skills, but tihs game has improved them quite a bit.
My hats off to the makers of this game, as they have done an exceptional job, as I'm sure everyone here will agree.
Buck
goranpaa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckcp wrote:
I am blesed enough to live within 15 miles of the Grey Reef of the North Platte River. This is the finest float fishing in the lower 48 I am convinced. It is 95% nymph fishing I'd say, and its not uncommon to hook up with 20 trout a float, majority rainbow, then brown, least being cutthroat. Every year there are some trout 15lb plus minimum landed from this system.
I have always had trouble with my nymph fishing skills, but tihs game has improved them quite a bit.
My hats off to the makers of this game, as they have done an exceptional job, as I'm sure everyone here will agree.
Buck

Man! That sounds like the place to be!. Any cabins let for rent there? Wink
Have you got the MX 518 mouse yet? Thoughts?

And you know what? Yiiiipiieee! I made my first bigger fish in Keya! A Rainbow at 5.2 kg on 4X tippet, Blue winged olive nymph. I owe you guys for the tips! I have no idea, if that fish is worth anything in your eyes? You have probably caught much bigger fish and Rainbows than that in the game. But to me, it's almost as exciting as if the fish where caught "live".

This game is almost more adictive than ladys lol.

I also made the fish jump btw.

And agree to what you say Buck. Hats off!!!

Now I'm off to Keya to catch one of those guys with the fin sticking up over the water.
Bill Blake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably one of the few that thinks the tippet in this game is way too strong. I've landed 50 lb fish on 6x tippet in this game, when I'd be strongly inclined to use a heavier tippet on a 4 lb fish in real life (unless the fishing conditions required such a fine tippet). Once you get past a certain point on the games learning curve you can just about yank 5lb fish out of the water in flysim on 6x tippet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blake wrote:
I'm probably one of the few that thinks the tippet in this game is way too strong. I've landed 50 lb fish on 6x tippet in this game, when I'd be strongly inclined to use a heavier tippet on a 4 lb fish in real life (unless the fishing conditions required such a fine tippet). Once you get past a certain point on the games learning curve you can just about yank 5lb fish out of the water in flysim on 6x tippet.

Hi!

Well, It will probably take quite while, before I can land one of the bigger fishes with even a 2X tippet it seems. But as you say. This have to do with the learning curve. Pity I seem to be a slow learner though Very Happy
kilgore trout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, today I finally landed a 10 lb brown from the Keya. I've been trying for 3.5 months !! I must have lost dozens. It really is a long learning curve, but very rewarding. The sight of all those fish jumping (f8 key) was terrific. To those of you still struggling on the Keya, don't give up. Take a break and go back to level 3. It took me a whole day to catch that 30 lb of fish for the first time, but when i returned, having learned many hard lessons on Keya, it took just 20 minutes. This was a great confidence booster. I truly believe that my real-world fishing has improved from all this practice. In the dark days of winter this game will be a great comfort. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FlySim.com Forum Index -> FlySim Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: